Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Everyone's watching

Man is it hot here in St. Louis this week!

This is an actual photograph from the inside of a high school friend Linda Rehmeier's car as she left work today.

My bride is about to give birth to our tenth child in exactly two weeks and guess what? Wouldn't you know it - the AC in our 2006 Ford 15 passenger van went out!

We're in full time ministry and like churches and many other non-profits have hit their "summer slump" where when checking the post office box is proving futile for added summer donations. It's really tough right now.

Yet call me crazy - but in spite of donations literally evaporating in this summer heat - as Dad I am going to try an experiment with my kids and family. Instead of the desperate pleas, the begging and the downright force we could apply as fundraisers for the ministry we've been called to at Guys For Life I am going to take this time as Husband, Dad and ministry leader to demonstrate, as best as possible, a reliance on God which I think we all need.

Two weeks ago we took the van, loaded the kids in it, with a truck load of water and even a floor fan from home and early in the morning went to the post office, bank and store all before noon.

At first there was much screaming, pushing and shoving but then - my lovely bride began praying - inside of 15 minutes everyone settled down [even me] and as a family in the stress of incredible heat we all had one of the most memorable times as a family. I'll never forget it. Though we all wanted a shower afterwards being so sticky - hearts and minds were soothed that day.

As the hours wind down before the new baby [Oliver William Ramspott] appears I think we'll leave the door open for God to guide us and use us as his witness during this, one of the most stressful summers we've had in ministry.

I can't help but think everyone is watching. Our church, our donors, other churches, friends on Facebook, my bride and especially my children.

Isn't it time we as men, who say we're Christian demonstrate our faith in times like this?

Isn't it time we as men, who say we're Christian increase our reliance on God and shed the old ways of loving God for Him delivering us out of our temporary circumstances and love him regardless what comes our way?

Isn't it time we as men, who say we're Christians show everyone there is a God who deeply loves them regardless what they have or have not done?

Sure, this posting borders on the edge of being braggadocios, tooting my own horn, puffed up and all that jazz - I have taken that into account. But let's see what God can do.

More details soon.

Till next time,
Kurt

No comments:

Post a Comment